At your first appointment, your specialist consultant surgeon will discuss the most appropriate treatment for your individual needs. However, the following is a useful guide to general suitability:
• You should be at least 21 years old and your eyes must be healthy and your prescription stable.
• You should not be pregnant or nursing as these conditions might change the measured refraction of the eye. You should wait for three months after breastfeeding until you come for a consultation.
• You should not be taking certain prescription drugs, such as Accutane or oral Prednisolone.
• You should be in good general health. Laser eye surgery may not be recommended for patients with diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, glaucoma, herpes infections of the eye, or cataracts. You should discuss this with your surgeon.
• Longsighted (can’t see things close up) up to: +3 to +4
• Short-sighted (can’t see things in the distance) up to: -10 to -11
• Astigmatism (poor near and distance vision) up to -6D